Community Health Needs Assessment and Implementation Strategy
In 2012, non-profit hospitals from across the Lehigh Valley created the Health Care Council of the Lehigh Valley (HCCLV) for the purpose of measuring and improving the health of the residents of the Lehigh Valley. Ultimately, this research would be used to develop a comprehensive, Lehigh Valley-wide Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA).
Membership for the HCCLV included the following organizations:
- The Dorothy Rider Pool Health Care Trust
- Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital
- KidsPeace Psychiatric Hospital
- Lehigh Valley Health Network
- St. Luke’s University Health Hospital
- Sacred Heart HealthCare System
The HCCLV chose to incorporate many best practices outlined by both the American Public Health Association and the Association for Community Health Improvement in the development of the CHNA. During this exhaustive process, the HCCLV:
- Reviewed and incorporated existing community health studies performed by several well-respected entities;
- Analyzed existing community health statistics and other secondary data;
- Held multiple community engagement meetings;
- Met on a monthly basis to discuss the findings; and
- Communicated its work to the public seeking additional feedback.
In June 2016, the HCCLV released the second version of The Road to Health. The original was released in 2013. The updated document was crafted in an effort to synthesize the immense amount of data collected into an easy to understand analysis for the non-medical public.
The findings led to the creation of the Sacred Heart Hospital’s Implementation Strategy, which was approved by the Sacred Heart Hospital Board of Directors in September 2016. The adoption of the Implementation Strategy and the Community Health Needs Assessment in 2016 fulfills the requirements set forth by Section 9007 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. Furthermore, these actions allow Sacred Heart Hospital to respond affirmatively to the CHNA-related questions listed under Schedule H, Part V, Section B of IRS Form 990 as revised in 2010.
Community Health Needs Assessment Documents