Bariatric Center of Excellence
Sacred Heart Hospital’s Bariatric Program has been named an American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC). Sacred Heart received this designation on March 17, 2011.
The Surgical Review Corporation determined that Sacred Heart Hospital satisfactorily met the standards set forth and was therefore designated an American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence.
The leadership of ASMBS identified the need to recognize hospital-based centers that perform high-quality bariatric surgery and to help surgeons and hospitals reach optimal levels of performance. SRC was formed as an independent, non-profit corporation and charged with implementing and administering the ASMBS Bariatric Surgery Centers of Excellence program.
Hospitals and surgeons qualify for designation as an ASMBS Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence (BSCOE) by participating in a rigorous evaluation process designed to document that they have a comprehensive program and meet the established program requirements for providing safe bariatric surgical care with excellent short- and long-term outcomes. The evaluation not only documents process but also emphasizes results.
To qualify as a Center of Excellence, Sacred Heart Hospital’s Bariatric Program must meet specific criteria. Requirements for a Center of Excellence designation include:
- Sacred Heart Hospital must uphold an institutional commitment to excellence in the care of bariatric surgical patients with an ongoing, regularly scheduled in-service education program in bariatric surgery.
- Sacred Heart Hospital must uphold an institutional commitment employ credentialing guidelines for bariatric surgery.
- Sacred Heart Hospital must perform at least 125 bariatric surgeries annually.
- Sacred Heart Hospital must have a range of comprehensive services available for the care of bariatric surgical patients.
- Sacred Heart Hospital must carry a full line of equipment and instruments for the care of bariatric surgical patients.
- Sacred Heart Hospital’s Bariatric Program must have a bariatric surgeon who spends a significant portion of his or her efforts in the field of bariatric surgery and who has qualified coverage and support for patient care.
- Sacred Heart Hospital must utilize clinical pathways and orders that facilitate the standardization of perioperative care for bariatric surgery.
- All bariatric surgical procedures must be standardized for each surgeon.
- Sacred Heart Hospital’s Bariatric Program’s staff of nurses and other professionals must be dedicated to serving bariatric surgical patients and involved in continuing education in the care of bariatric patients.
- Sacred Heart Hospital must offer organized and supervised support groups for all patients who have undergone bariatric surgery at Sacred Heart Hospital.
- Sacred Heart Hospital must provide documentation of a program dedicated to long-term patient follow-up of at least 75 percent for bariatric procedures at 5 years with a monitoring and tracking system for outcomes, and must provide annual outcome summaries to SRC in a manner consistent with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations.
By meeting all of these rigorous guidelines, Sacred Heart Hospital’s Bariatric Program demonstrated that it has extensive resources and qualified staff to provide safe and effective bariatric surgery and comprehensive follow-up care and support.
Since Sacred Heart Hospital is a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence, you can be assured that we have competent, well-prepared surgeons, knowledgeable hospital staff, and excellent facilities.