Geriatric Medicine Residency Program
To all interested physicians:
The Sacred Heart Hospital/Temple University (Allentown) Geriatric Medicine Residency Program was accredited on July 1, 2002 by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). The first fellow entered our program in August 2002. The program expanded to three fellows in 2005.
Upon successful completion of this one-year geriatric residency program, each fellow will become eligible to sit for the Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Geriatrics as recognized by the American Board of Family Practice and the American Board of Internal Medicine. We are very pleased to say that all of our graduates have passed this qualifying examination on their first attempt.
We expect that all graduates will be able to independently provide a broad spectrum of geriatric care, from an office practice to assisted living and nursing home venues to inpatient and consultative services. Academic aspirations are strongly encouraged.Some of the highlights of Sacred Heart Hospital’s Geriatric Medicine Residency Program:
- Sacred Heart Hospital’s Geriatric Medicine Residency Program is the first geriatric medicine residency program located in the Lehigh Valley, located 60 miles from Philadelphia and 85 miles from New York City.
- Our community-based urban program is affiliated with an unopposed Family Medicine Residency Program. The geriatric fellows teach, supervise, and evaluate the care provided by the family medicine residents in a variety of venues.
- Our dedicated faculty include family physicians, cardiologists, internists, physiatrist, palliative care physician, neurologists, nephrologists, psychiatrist, psychologist, and pharmacist (doctorate).
- Our faculty are experts in movement disorders, dementia syndromes, gero-psychiatry, palliative care, hospice care, and more.
- Geriatric fellows have access to our on-site Memory Disorder Clinic, Comprehensive Wound Healing Center, Sleep Disorders Center, speech therapy services, Older Adult Behavioral Medicine Center, Sacred Heart Hospice, Sacred Heart Palliative Care, and our Geriatric Assessment Team.
- Geriatric fellows have access to our outpatient geriatric clinic and the on-site satellite campus of MossRehab.
- Sacred Heart Hospital has a state-of-the-art 42,000 square foot primary care facility, the Sigal Center for Family Medicine, on its campus.
- Geriatric fellows have access to Sacred Heart Home Care Services, including Sacred Heart Hospice.
- Sacred Heart Hospital has affiliations with nearby nursing home and assisted living facilities.
- Geriatric fellows can attend weekly geriatric teaching conferences, biweekly conferences with geriatric medicine faculty, and monthly journal clubs.
Sacred Heart Hospital’s Geriatric Medicine Residency Program is an intimate learning experience with a dedicated faculty in a supportive environment that provides one of the finest opportunities to learn geriatric medicine.
Daniel H. Coller, M.D.
Director of the Geriatric Medicine Residency Program