Outpatient Surgery or Treatment
Important information to remember when you are scheduled for a same-day outpatient surgery or treatment:
- Call your doctor if there is a change in your health, such as a cold or fever. Your surgery may need to be delayed.
- The afternoon of the day before your procedure, you will be called after 3:00 p.m. and advised of your time to arrive at the hospital. If your surgery is scheduled on a Monday, we will call the Friday before and not the day before.
- At this time, you will be instructed where to report on the day of your procedure. Any additional pre-procedure instructions will be reviewed at this time.
- If you are taking medications, be prepared to discuss them with the nurse when he/she calls with pre-operative instructions.
- On the day of surgery, do not wear makeup, nail polish, or jewelry.
- You may not be able to eat or drink anything prior to surgery. When the nurse calls with pre-procedure instructions, that information will be reviewed. Follow your physician’s instructions. This is crucial for the safe use of anesthesia.
- You may brush your teeth or rinse with mouthwash, but do not swallow anything.
- Plan to arrive for surgery 1 – 3 hours before your scheduled time.
- With local anesthesia, it can take up to 30 minutes to recover after surgery. Other types of anesthesia require a longer recovery time.
- In the outpatient area, you will be given assistance and light refreshments as you recover. Your family can join you there.
- Your doctor and anesthesiologist will determine when you are ready for discharge.
- A nurse will review the surgeon’s post-operative instructions. Report anything unusual to the doctor. If you have problems after discharge, go to the nearest emergency department.
- You must arrange for someone to take you home after same-day surgery. The effects of anesthesia can make driving dangerous. You must plan to have someone stay with you at home throughout the night after surgery.
- Sometimes after surgery, patients are admitted to the hospital for overnight monitoring. If this happens, please send your valuables home with your family.
- If you have questions upon your arrival at the hospital, please report to the information desk in the hospital lobby for assistance.