The Missionary Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart religious order in Germany arrived in Allentown on June 15, 1912 to help care for the sick and injured of the Sacred Heart Parish during a widespread diphtheria outbreak. As diphtheria raged, the Sisters gave dispensary service as well as visiting nurse services. This was the actual “start” of Sacred Heart Hospital.
In 1915, the actual founding of Sacred Heart Hospital as a community institution was formalized and dedicated. Two years later, Sacred Heart Hospital was officially incorporated under Pennsylvania law. In 1920, Sacred Heart received approval to train interns and in 1922 was accredited by the American College of Surgeons.
Since then, Sacred Heart Hospital has expanded its campus and its reach across our community. Now a 233-bed Catholic medical center, we offer a wide range of advanced medical services ranging from acute rehabilitation to bariatric services to adult psychiatric services. A network of physician practices throughout Lehigh and Northampton Counties provide complete primary and pediatric medical care to the region’s residents. Sacred Heart Hospital is nationally recognized in case management, as a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery, and its Transitional Care Facility was granted a Five-Star rating by the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.